Lirio del Carmen Gutiérrez Rivera
Lirio Gutiérrez Rivera is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science, Universidad Nacional de Colombia (National University of Colombia). She studied political science (Freie Universität Berlin) and anthropology (Universidad de los Andes- Colombia).
Her research includes urban violence, contemporary prisons, youth gangs, social mobility, and state responses to crime and violence in Latin America, particularly Honduras and Colombia. She is currently working on two research projects: one is about gender and urban planning in Medellin, Colombia. The second research is based on her work as an expert witness for Central Americans seeking asylum in the U.S. It explores the connection between different forms of violence experienced by women and contemporary migration in Central America.
Lirio’s book, Territories of Violence. State, Marginal Youth, and Public Security, was published in 2013 with Palgrave.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2013). Territories of Violence. State, Marginal Youth, and Public Security in Honduras. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN: 978-1-137-02794-8. http://us.macmillan.com/territoriesofviolence/LirioGutiérrezRivera
Refereed Journal Articles
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2018). “Local and Transnational Entanglements in the Cycle of Violence of Central American Migration” Global Crime. DOI: 10.1080/17440572.2018.1477600
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2014). “Assimilation or Cultural Difference? Palestinian Migrants in Honduras” Revista de Estudios Sociales (Universidad de los Andes, Colombia) No. 48: pp. 57-68.ISSN 0123-885X.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2012). “Geographies of Violence and Exclusion: Imprisoned Gangs(“Maras”) in Honduras” Latin American Research Review, 47(2): 167-179. ISSN 0023-8791.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2011). “Security Policies from a Spatial Perspective: The Case of Honduras.” In: “Dossier Spaces of Insecurity: Rethinking Security Governance in Latin America” Iberoamericana, no. 41, 143-155. ISSN 1577-3388.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2010). “Discipline and Punish? Youth Gangs’ Response to Zero-Tolerance in Honduras” Bulletin of Latin American Research, 29(4): 492-514. ISSN 0261-3050.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2007). “Opportunities and Possibilities: Volunteers’ Experience with People with HIV/AIDS” Universitas Humanística, No. 64: 92-112. ISSN 0120-4807.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio (2018). “Gender, race, and the cycle of violence of female asylum-seekers from Honduras”. In: Race, Criminal Justice and Migration, edited by Bosworth, Mary, Parmar, Alpa and Yolanda Vazquez. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio, Stronen, Iselin Asedotter, and Margit Ystanes. (2017). “Coming of age in the penal system: neoliberalism, ‘mano dura’ and the reproduction of ‘racialised’ inequality in Honduras”. In:The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Latin America. Decades of Change, edited by Iselin Asedotter Stronen and Margit Ystanes. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2017). “The World of the Rondines: Movement, order, and control in a Latin American prison”. In: Carceral Mobilities: Interrogating Movement in Incarceration, edited by Jen Turner and Kimberly Peters. London: Routledge.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2016). “Prison Violence and Change: The Impact of Crime Control Policies on Honduran Prisons”. In: Crime and Violence in Latin America: Myths and Realities, edited by Kirsten Howarth and Jenny Peterson, Lexington Press.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2016). “Revisiting Palestinian Migration and Social Mobility in Honduras: The Caribbean Coast and Family and Kinship Relations”. In: Migration of Rich Immigrants: Gender, Age and Ethnicity, edited by Alex Vailati and Carmen Rial. New York: Palgrave. ISBN: 978 11 37510 761.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2015). “Security and Remilitarization in the Name of Democracy: The Impact of Global Crime Control Policies in Honduras”. Chr. Michelsen Institute, Working Paper Series, No.10. Bergen: Norway.
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio. (2013). “Between Fascination and Fear: Reflections on Conducting Research in a Dangerous Prison”, Post for Border Criminologies, Oxford University. Accesible at: http://bordercriminologies.law.ox.ac.uk/between-fascination-and-fear/
- Gutiérrez Rivera, Lirio (2013). “Violence, Crime, and the Maras in Honduras: Assessing a Decade of Security Policies.” The Chronicle of International Association of Youth and Family Judges and Magistrates. January Edition: 42-46.